Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Gifts

This year was the first year that Lydia actually expressed a desire for a specific gift. She first laid eyes on the "Baby Alive" doll in the Walmart Toy catalog back in November. Her sisters read her the list of the doll's many features (among them--she poops and pees), Lydia swooned and fell instantly in love.

Lydia accompanied me to Walmart one day to buy groceries and when we walked into the store we were greeted with an entire wall of Baby Alive dolls. Lydia was beside herself. "Mommy we have to get one right now, otherwise there won't be any left because people will buy all of them!" I assured (and reassured) Lydia that there would be enough Baby Alive dolls to go around.

Lydia played Mary in the little nativity play that she performed with her brothers and sisters this Christmas. She confided to me that she really couldn't play Mary to her full potential without a Baby Alive doll to be the baby Jesus.

Everyone in the whole family knew that Grandpa Tom and Grandma Jane had purchased the doll for Lydia as a Christmas present and no one spoiled the surprise. Needless to say, Lydia was overcome with joy when she opened her very own Baby Alive on Christmas Eve. Every time the baby cries, she gives me a knowing look (we mommies have a lot in common) and she runs to get the baby, feed it and diaper it.

I also received some lovely gifts. In addition to several friends who took time out of their busy schedules to come visit and check on me and to drop off treats at the house, I also was given some thoughtfully chosen presents.

One friend gave me a bottle of Philosophy Peppermint Hot Cocoa bubble bath. She knows I love hot baths. I've already tried it and it's yummy. My sister-in-law gave me a bracelet with 2 Cor. 12:10 inscribed on it. Another friend gave me a scroll ornament on which is painted the word "shalom." Matt gave me a necklace with "shalom" engraved in Hebrew on it. I've always found great comfort in the word "shalom." Especially this Christmas, it seemed fitting to receive those gifts.

But best of all, was the little Hummel ornament that my dear Matthew gave to me. I've always loved Hummels for sentimental reasons. I remember them from my Grandma's and Mom's houses. I've also always loved the movie "The Sound of Music." The seventh Von Trapp child's name was Gretel. So Matt bought me a little Gretel as a remembrance--such a sweet and apropos gift.
This Christmas I also re-received the gift Jesus so willing gave me and I remembered that I've been bought with a price, so I willingly give my life back to Him. "But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you. My power is made perfect in weakness.' " (2 Cor. 12:9)

No comments: