Thursday, June 10, 2010

Grace's Bread

Grace continues to hone her bread making skills. Each loaf she produces is tastier than the last. Several months ago, I ordered a few different kinds of flour and some vital wheat gluten from King Arthur Flour. The quality of the products was great, but the price tag was a bit steep.
I discovered that I can buy all of the equivalent flours and enhancers at our local health food store for half the price of King Arthur Flour. We've really enjoyed the whole wheat white flour. Not only has Grace added a small portion of the flour to her whole wheat loaves (higher rise, less dense), we've experimented with it in lots of other baked goods. We've added the whole wheat white flour in a 1:1 ratio with all purpose flour to waffles, muffins, biscuits and pizza dough. I've been really pleased with the results. You can hardly tell a difference between a conventional baked good and our baked goods with the added whole wheat white flour.

My uncle is raising hard white wheat this year and has offered to give some to us. I've been hedging on getting our own grain mill, but a wheat donation might get me to finalize my purchase decision.

Now that I have a girl that can whip up some biscuits for dinner, I've found we're baking a lot more and not purchasing as many baked goods from the store. It's so nice not to have to shoulder the entire burden of dinner preparation by myself anymore. As a result, we're much more consistent with actually getting dinner on the table (instead of having Daddy pick up pizza on the way home). Many hands make light work, as my Grandpa used to say.

No comments: