Monday, April 4, 2011

The Alamo and Single Parenting

Matt traveled out of town on business this past week. He went to San Antonio, Texas. I stayed here with our brood.Two hours after he left town, we discovered that one of our toilets was leaking. This was on a Saturday and I had no desire to call for an emergency plumber, so I called my brother-in-law instead. He told me how to turn off the water and empty the tank. Grace taped down the lid because I've learned from experience that signs just don't work with the younger set. Even if they can read, they don't connect the words with the idea of NOT using the toilet.

Although Matt resisted the idea of me packing an extra shirt for him, he was glad I did. A pigeon was nice enough to leave him a gift deposit on his way to lunch one day. Mama's always right. Pack an extra shirt and an extra pair of underwear, 'cause ya never know.

The kids and I managed fairly well without Matt. Early in the week, I realized that I needed to put my "to do" lists away because they just weren't going to happen. Survival mode prevailed--meals, laundry and keeping on our regular schedule became the order of the day.

We were all very glad to have our Daddy back at the end of the week. As tradition dictates when Daddy goes on a business trip, Matt did come home with t-shirts for all the kids. This time the shirts were from the Alamo. Cost of the t-shirt to the recipients--listen to Daddy tell the story of the Alamo, but that's a cost the kids were willing to pay. They love to hear their Daddy tell them stories.

No comments: