Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On the Menu Tonight

Bibimbap. When he was a young man, Matt's Korean mother, Misa, spoiled him with her good cooking. Thus, his affinity for Korean food. He loves bulgolgi and bibimbap. He's not, however, a fan of kimchi. Pickled anything doesn't make Matt's top 100 list, but pickled cabbage fails to make the list altogether.Matt figured the spread we had tonight would have cost our family close to $100 in a restaurant. We made it for way less than that. Plus we used grass fed beef, farm fresh asparagus, organic carrots and our own free range chicken eggs. (Unfortunately, we didn't use bean sprouts as our local Walmart didn't have any. We've made this recipe before with the bean sprouts and they are good.)

I've been experimenting with starting dinner early so that I can accommodate small sous chefs in the kitchen. So far, I haven't lost my sanity and the kids really enjoy contributing to the making of a meal. They're also more willing to try strange (to them) foods if they've had a hand in preparing them. Case in point: tonight the kids all sampled and enjoyed the bibimbap. If I keep this up, I may work my way out of a job. That would be quite the payoff.

No comments: