Tuesday, July 7, 2015

When It Rains, It Pours

I've spent the last three weekends in the ER.  My mom has hit a rough patch which we're doing our best to get past, but the result has been a couple of ER visits and hospital admissions.  Mom is living in our town now, so I'm doing taxi service to her different doctor appointments (that is when she's not in the hospital).  Mom's being here is only temporary, until her caregiver is able to return to work.

I was so tickled I'd gotten through this past weekend without a visit to the ER.  You know that saying about counting your chickens?  Halfway through church on Sunday, Lydia told me she was ill.  I took her to the bathroom, quizzed her about her symptoms, then decided I should take her home.

She was flushed, nauseous, experiencing stomach cramps and was very listless.  She had been stung by one of her bees that morning, but I didn't think her symptoms were related to the sting--until I got Dr. Google involved.  I quickly gave Lydia some Benedryl, then we loaded up and headed to the ER. Yep, third weekend in a row.  Once there, Lydia's symptoms began to subside enough that after 45 minutes I decided to abort the mission.  Another day in the ER didn't sound appealing to me, so we just continued with the Benedryl every four hours at home. Lydia's pediatrician has prescribed her a Epipen and a trip to the allergist.

Add to that a handful of crayons in the dryer with ALL of my tops (I used this recipe to fix the problem--it took 2 times), Matt's vehicle breaking down on the way to work last week (thankfully,I was already in town, so I was able to pick him up), our AC pump giving out last Friday night (hey!  it's only been in the triple digits here for over 2 weeks), multiple visits to the dermatologist with Liz to get a rash on her leg taken care of (it's only been 6 mos.) and Paul's Scout Master dying of cancer--well, I've nearly gone and lost my mind.  Plus the dog chewed up 2 of my favorite shoes, but not from the same pair.

Thank the Lord I have faithful friends who text me, pray for me and are merciful enough to tell me I'm not going crazy.

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. 2 Cor. 4:16-18

P.S.--The crayon incident was discovered as I was hurriedly searching for something, anything (we were late) to put on my body before taking the kids to swimming lessons one morning last week.  Once my hot, sweaty, anxiety-ridden self arrived at swimming lessons, Matt texted me to say he was having his car towed and could I please pick him up?   Also, the AC is actually still running. Matt rigged up a temporary bucket catching condensation solution until the new pump is delivered from Amazon.  So, no, we haven't been suffering from the heat too much.  Otherwise this post would, indeed, have been written from Crazy Town. (I've been vacationing there, but have not yet taken up permanent residence.)  


2 comments:

strawberry_kid said...

Yikes! I will be praying for all of you. Does the bee sting mean the end of Lydia's bees? How is your mom doing now?

Matt Macduff Family said...

Not sure on Lydia's bees. The allergist will determine that. Re: mom. She seems to be stabilizing, so that's good. Thanks for praying.