Saturday, February 27, 2016

This Week's Highs and Lows

High:  Sunday.  Taking our niece and goddaughter, Raphaella, out to lunch before Matt had to leave town that afternoon on business.  It's been a few months since we've seen Elle, so it was nice to reconnect.

Low:  Monday.  An early morning medical appointment with one of the kids (we're just running some tests--no emergencies).  We got to the lab right after it opened at 8 a.m. only to find it had relocated. We went to the new location and put our name on the list.  We were seventh in line.  We waited over an hour. This kid had been fasting and was hungry.  I hadn't eaten breakfast, either, so I was hungry. Finally, our name was called, but the lab didn't have any test orders for us.  So I called the dr.'s office and thankfully she was able to give direct orders over the phone.  Eight vials of blood later, we were outta there.  Finally.

Low:  Tuesday.  Another early morning appointment.  That's o.k.  I had been up since 4:30 a.m.  I don't sleep very well when Matt is gone.  Elizabeth and I reached the health department right on time, but realized we had forgotten all of the paper work needed for her travel vaccinations.  She thought I had the envelope, I thought she had it.  I didn't handle the situation well.  I panicked.  I lost it. Not my most stellar mommy moment.  I had Liz call Grace, who was home and able to run the papers in.  I thought for sure we'd have to reschedule the appointment for a month from now. Thankfully, they let us wait for the paperwork to arrive and then we proceeded with the appointment as planned.

Low: Still Tuesday.  I didn't get an afternoon nap as I had hoped.  I didn't manage my time well and I didn't get dinner started on time.  Plan B implemented.  Brinner.  Except even that didn't work out. Paul had a meeting. I insisted he eat before he went, even though he was getting more anxious by the second (he doesn't like to be late).  The first waffle stuck to the waffle iron like cement.  I tore a chunk off.  He slathered some pb on it and we ran to the car so that I could drive him to his meeting.

Low:  Later still on Tuesday.  Matt called from CA.  He wondered how the chicks were doing.  I told him the kids said they were fine, but then I went to go check on them.  One of the little kids had taken the water line out of the chicken box.  Yeah.  Those chicks were thirsty. Which lead to another unstellar mommy moment.  As I watered the chicks, I realized that a number of them had crusty poopy butts. It happens, but it must be dealt with.  Unfortunately, Matt wasn't home to do it, so the job fell to me. Only a responsible adult is qualified to torture little chickies and try to keep from tearing feathers off their bottoms.

High:  Wednesday.  The obit in the newspaper revealed that the young man whom I had seen on the roadway after a fatal car accident the previous Friday had been baptized into the Christian faith two weeks ago.  This had been such a burden on my heart.  It was good to know that by time I had seen him, he was in Jesus' arms.

High:  Wednesday night late.  My Matthew returned home.

High:  Thursday:  Liz's passport arrived in the mail!

High:  Friday.  It was a gorgeous day and the boys helped me work in the yard.  Matt and I got to see our other goddaughter, Opal, compete in her gymnastics meet.  She did very well.

High:  Saturday.  We had a family dinner to celebrate my mom's 66th birthday.  This past summer mom's health was such that I thought I wouldn't spend another Christmas with her, let alone another birthday.  God is very good.
For the Lord is good;
    his steadfast love endures forever,
    and his faithfulness to all generations.  Psalm 100:5

  

No comments: