Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Times They Are A Changin'

Last night Matt and I went on a date. I've been craving a McDonald's milkshake for months now. Since I'm no longer on a restricted diet, I told Matt I really wanted to indulge that craving. We pulled up to the speaker at the drive through. Matt saw that there were pumpkin shakes on the menu. "Ooo, I want that," I said. Matt ordered it.

The woman on the other end of the speaker said, "We don't have pumpkin."
Matt said, "but it says on your sign that you do."
She responded, "I don't have that on my screen, you can try ordering it at the window."
"Well, what do you have on your screen?" Matt asked.
"Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and mango-raspberry."

The mango-raspberry flavor was not on the menu we were reading. We pulled up to the window and the guy said, "That'll be $11.63." Matt said, "I just wanted to order a small pumpkin shake."

"Oh, the lady taking orders is in another state. She doesn't know about the pumpkin shakes."

At this point I know I heard the "Twilight Zone" theme playing. Matt paid the amount owed and we pulled up to the next window to pick up the shake. Matt told me that several months ago he had read that McDonald's was starting a pilot program to see if the ordering process we had just experienced would work. "I guess it worked," he said, "'cause they have it here."

By the way, the pumpkin wasn't very good, I should have gone with my gut and ordered the chocolate. Now I'll hold out for my yearly holiday favorite--eggnog.

No comments: