Saturday, August 14, 2010

Extreme Couponing: 1 Year Update

I've been "extreme couponing" for a year now. I thought I'd write a post about what I've earned and what I've learned.

Some people say clipping coupons isn't worth the time. I'd even fallen into that mentality shortly before I began extreme couponing last summer. A few cents here, a few cents there. What does it matter? Truth be told, my old way of clipping coupons wasn't really making much of a difference in our overall budget. I found I was better off  buying loss leaders and store brands. Then I started reading the couponing blogs on the internet and I "got it."

By pairing coupons with sales, promotions and rebates, I began to get products at 60% to 90% off retail (sometimes even for free). Those prices even beat the store brands. I've read that it's like getting paid any where from $60 to $80 per hour, tax free. At first, I spent way too much time trying to put coupon shopping trips together. This was partly because I was a newbie and I was just starting to learn the ropes, but also because I was trying to snag every good deal that came along.

I've gotten wiser. I've learned the tricks of the trade, stopped shopping at some stores altogether (either because of travel distance or constantly changing coupon policies) and I've stopped chasing down every deal out there.

I get six Sunday newspapers, plus I have a few family members and friends who give me their coupon inserts. When a great deal comes along, it's nice to get ten of them, not just one (otherwise known as stockpiling). For months I tried to organize my coupons in a coupon binder, but from the get go I was constantly behind. My coupons were all in a box and I missed out on plenty of deals because I couldn't find the particular coupons I  knew I had.

I recently switched to a coupon box. I bought a small lidded plastic box and filled it with mini file folders from the Dollar Store. This keeps all my loose coupons organized. Generally, though, I don't clip coupons from the newspaper inserts until I need them. I keep all the inserts in a file cabinet and just grab the appropriate insert when I need it.
I don't shop on Sundays, which does put me at a disadvantage, especially when Albertsons releases their "Twice the Value" coupons, which are basically double coupons (the store doubles the value of the coupon you hand them). Early on, the Lord told me I was not to shop on Sundays, so I just accept that I will miss out on a couple of deals, but mostly I still get most everything I'm wanting.

I spend about thirty minutes to an hour on Sunday afternoons clipping coupons and putting together my shopping trips for the week. I shop on Monday afternoons. My trips usually take me between forty five minutes and ninety minutes, including travel time.

In the past year, I've gotten multiples (and all name brand) of the following for free: shampoo, conditioner, hair stylers, body wash and lotion, bar soap, razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, deodorant, sunscreen, lip balm, feminine products, cold medications, cough drops, spray cleaners, sponges, paper plates, candles, diapers, wipes, pens, mechanical pencils, light bulbs and dish washing soap. I even got a free cookware set and a couple of pairs of kid's sunglasses.

In the food category I've gotten all of these for free: candy bars, gum, spices, fruit snacks, granola bars, juice boxes, pretzels, crackers, bagged shredded cheese, yogurt, cereal, tortillas, salad dressing, BBQ sauce, noodles (including whole wheat) and Crystal Light drink mix.

Several people I've told about my freebies have said, "That must be illegal." No it's not. The store gets reimbursed the full value of the coupon, as well as a couple of cents extra. In the case of Albertsons "Twice the Value" coupons, the store takes the hit on the cost of the coupon, knowing that consumers will likely also buy milk, produce and other items while shopping there (which I do).

I'm very honest with my coupons. I don't use expired coupons. I always make sure the product I'm buying matches the product on the coupon. I don't fill out more than one rebate form (some couponers fill out more than one rebate form and have the rebates sent to their relatives' homes, etc.). I'm also a courteous couponer. I don't clear shelves--I leave something for the next person. If someone behind me at the check out counter only has a few items, I always offer to let that person go ahead of me.

I used to pay 21 cents per diaper at Costco. Now I pay between 9 and 12 cents per diaper. I never pay full price for yogurt anymore. I never pay more than about 75 cents for a box of cereal (although I will pay up to $1.50 for Kashi cereal). I consistently get Matt's Prilosec for nearly half the price of the store brand. I pay super cheap prices for peanut butter, cream soups, toilet paper (Cottenelle), facial moisturizers and so much more. I no longer regularly spend $200 per trip at Walmart and Costco. My shopping lists for those stores have gotten a lot shorter.

All of this has given us enough cushion in our budget to allow us to pay someone to do some of the regular maintenance that needs to happen around the house, maintenance for which Matt, in this season in his life, does not have time. It's also afforded me the ability to help others by giving them some of the excess toiletries and food I have on hand.

Another benefit of the couponing--Elizabeth and I get some great bonding time. She's good with numbers and she loves saving money. She's my coupon buddy. She helps me scan the ads, clip and organize coupons and she almost always goes with me on my shopping trips. Elizabeth likes to know the bottom line--just how much money I saved and how I saved it, whether it was with coupons, catalinas or rebates, or a combination of those things. Finally, someone who actually enjoys listening to me talk about all my great deals--and in my own family no less! God is good.

1 comment:

strawberry_kid said...

What a nice update. I am happy that you found a system that works for you. I love the idea of saving a bunch of money.