Tuesday, June 21, 2011

French Toast Record


I know I broke my own personal record and I think I probably broke the family record in the amount of french toast I cooked up tonight. I used my Grandpa Paul's world famous recipe, as I always do, except this time I made the recipe X 7. That's 42 eggs, 4 loaves of bread and a half of a whole nutmeg, grated.

When I was around the age of twelve, I held the family record for the most pieces of Grandpa's french toast ever consumed in one sitting--as I recall it was eleven. My sister might contest this fact, however. As I remember it, she always thought that she held the record.

My kids absolutely love it when I make french toast for dinner. Even Joel, my picky eater, says "This is the best dinner ever!" especially when I serve German sausage with it (made with the same recipe and by the same company in the same small town where my Grandpa lived his whole life). If my Grandpa were still alive he'd get such a kick out of hearing that his great grandkids were enjoying his french toast so much. I can hear his laugh ringing out now.

Family: If I'm not the record holder for the most french toast cooked (in one continuous cooking session) then let me know and I'll correct this post. I'm sure the Guinness Book of World Records will be contacting me very soon, so speak up now, or forever hold your peace. (I will concede the blena (German pancake) making record to Uncle Keith.)

(And for the record: our family won't be eating all that french toast tonight, we'll freeze it and use it for breakfasts for the next couple of weeks.)

Here's the recipe for those who are interested:

Grandpa Paul's French Toast

6 eggs
1 C. milk (I use half whole milk, half skim)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
cinnamon & freshly ground nutmeg, to taste

Beat the ingredients together and then add enough Bisquick or Wondra flour to make the mixture the consistency of thick cream (I usually add a heaping 1/2 C. of Bisquick). Dip bread into batter. Cook on griddle until golden brown.

No comments: