Thursday, October 4, 2012

Paul is Eleven

Paul's birthday was last Thursday.  The day didn't start out so well.  Paul was a little under the weather, (mostly overtired) so he wasn't very happy about much of anything, least of all the school work I asked him to do.

After I got the littles down for quiet time, I took Paul to the feed store.  Exciting, I know.  But Paul really really likes the feed store.  On the way there, we stopped at the McDonald's drive thru so I could buy Paul a rare treat, a milk shake--chocolate, to be exact.  The day started getting better after that.

When we arrived at the feed store, the woman behind the counter said, "I know you!  I know where you're going--straight to the knife case!"  Apparently Paul and his Daddy never miss an opportunity to check out the knives when they go to buy chicken feed.

Paul had already made up his mind about which knife he was going to buy.  He had purchased a knife for Grace for her birthday (which she carries in her skirt pocket every day), but he really wanted one for himself.  Grace returned the favor and gave Paul some money to buy a knife like hers.

That night we had a steak and mashed potato dinner and fudgey chocolate cake for dessert, all of which were Paul's requests.  Grace made the cake and Elizabeth spent a good part of the day fashioning some really fantastic decorations for it.  The little clay hunter figure is a replica of Paul, right down to the left eye he squints when he shoots a shot gun.



Paul then opened his presents.  I think he was most pleased with the sling shot his dad and I bought him when we were in Texas in July.  We ended the evening by starting a brand new read aloud, Man of the Family by Ralph Moody.       

No comments: