Thursday, February 14, 2013

Spaghetti Feed Fundraiser

Paul is a rather reserved boy, which is fairly typical of a firstborn (he is the firstborn son).  So it was a challenge for him to muster up the courage to go door-to-door selling tickets for his Boy Scout troop's spaghetti feed fundraiser.  In fact, I think hoped that by avoiding the task, the whole thing would just go away.  However, the day came when he had to try to sell a few tickets.  His Scout meeting was that night and he needed to show the troop that he had made an effort.

That morning, Daddy explained to Paul what he should say when someone answered their door.  By late afternoon, I told Paul that it was time, he must make a go of selling tickets.  Once again, I repeated to him what he should say.  Then, I had him practice, with me pretending to be the potential customer.

His brothers and sisters were quick to offer their assistance.  In fact, Lydia had the spiel down pat on her first try.  Joel brought me a piece of paper and asked, "Mom, can you write that down, 'It's a fundraiser.' ?"  Finally, I felt Paul was as ready as he would ever be, so we prayed and I sent him out the door.  He wanted to go by himself, but it was already twilight, so I insisted he take at least one of his siblings.  Plus, I figured a buddy might remember to relay relevant details, like the cost per ticket, date of the event, etc.

Lydia was sure she was perfectly suited for the job (and she was), but Paul did not want to take her.  So both Joel and Jude tagged along.  Joel wore his Confederate Army hat, Jude wore his WWII green Army helmet.

After they left, I prayed that the Lord would give my boy success.  I abhor the memories of my own childhood door-to-door peddlings and could relate to what Paul must have been feeling.  A little over an hour later, the boys came home, having sold all ten of the tickets.  I was told that the attendant Confederate soldier made sure to say, "It's a fundraiser!" at every door.

Last Sunday, we attended the big event with our friends, Paul's godparents, Brian and Julie and their family.  The Boy Scouts served, so we didn't see much of Paul.  His baby brother Isaac thoroughly enjoyed his meal, though.  Paul was tired when we picked him up later that evening, but he had done his job well.  Apparently, the event raised a total of $600, of which Paul raised $120 (largely due to some generous donations from family and friends).  Our boy is growing up.

1 comment:

The Engineer said...

Well I had an enjoyable time. Good fundraiser Paul!
Brian