Friday, May 31, 2013

The Baby of the Family

We've been trying to gently break it to Isaac that he will soon need to surrender his baby status.  So far, he's not having any of it.

Many plastic tubs of clothes are stored in our basement, all marked on the outside with the appropriate size and gender.  Three little boys have each worn many of those clothes.  Actually, more than three boys have worn them because they either came to our family as hand-me-downs or I bought them used.  Over the years, I've had to throw away clothes that were no longer wearable due to holes, ripped seams or horrible stains.  What's left of the little boy clothing category is now well worn or I'm just plain tired of seeing it.

So, I when I found out that we would be having another boy, I made up my mind that if I found clothes at my price point, I would buy them.  For me that means less than a buck an outfit, preferably fifty cents per outfit.  I hit the mother load at a yard sale a few weekends ago.  The seller had tables and tables full of nearly new baby and toddler boy clothes--all for fifty cents each.  It's not an unusual sight to see tables upon tables full of baby girl clothes at yard sales, but boy clothes are a different story.  So I was tickled when I stumbled upon this particular sale.  I bought forty two pieces of clothing.

I brought the clothes home and started sending them through the washer and dryer.  As each load was completed, I folded and seperated the clothes into sizes and laid the different piles on the couch in the master bedroom.  Every time I turned around, Isaac had on a new outfit.  From twelve month pants that looked liked capris on him, to eighteen month shirts that exposed his belly button, he tried it all on.


I kept saying, "No, those aren't yours.  Those are for the baby--the baby in Mommy's tummy.  The baby will wear them when he comes out."

In reply, Isaac kept saying to me, "No!  I da baby!"

I guess we still have a bit of work to do in convincing Isaac that this baby thing is real and that it's not some sort of joke.  Poor Isaac, I have a feeling he's got a rude awakening ahead.

No comments: