Thursday, August 8, 2013

Baby Joseph Update

Baby Joseph is doing very well.  He was back up to his birth weight at his first visit to the pediatrician on Tuesday.  So far, he's a very even-tempered baby, which is nice in a house that is already full of activity and noise.
Joseph and I are still in the process of negotiating a sleep contract.  He insists his nutritional needs must be met at least every two hours, sometimes more.  He brings powerful tools to the negotiating table--the most deliciously kissable chubby cheeks and little blue eyes that study my face very intently.  So far, he's got the upper hand and I've been willing to oblige him on all that he asks in the negotiation process.  Oh well, sleep is overrated, at least that's what I keep telling myself.
Today, as I was reading my Bible, I prayed that the Lord would show me how to be loving and patient with my family.  So many times Jesus is recorded in the Bible as having been very weary, yet He still willingly and lovingly met the needs of others.  I prayed for the strength to do the same today and in the days to come.


On another note, I'm adoring the new muslin swaddling blankets a friend and my two older girls sewed for the baby.  I first saw a swaddling blanket like this last summer, when I went to visit my friend who had just had her baby.  When I saw her little one, all snuggled up in white muslin, I said, "Oh! He's all wrapped up in a tea towel!"  She laughed and explained that muslin is the new thing in receiving blankets.  So she made Joseph three blankies and my girls made him two (they're outrageously expensive online).
Matt wraps the baby so tight in these blankets that he looks like he belongs on one of those Russian maternity ward baby carts that I've seen in documentaries.  Daddy says Joseph likes it that way.  He probably does.  Even Daddy isn't immune to Joseph's persuasive negotiating skills.  We're both totally, head over heels in love with our little baby boy.  (So is the rest of the family.  The biggest arguments Matt and I have to mediate are over whose turn it is to hold the baby.)

No comments: