Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lydia's Culinary Adventure

We generally have a big family meal at "Macduff Headquarters" every month. Usually three tables are needed to seat everyone in attendance, but this month Matt's brother and his family were on vacation, so we only needed two tables. All that to say that Lydia and I did not sit at the same table at this month's dinner, so I didn't get the report of what she ate until we drove home. Apparently she consumed over a dozen full-sized shrimp. She ate them without any cocktail sauce, enjoying them in their natural state. She ate little else--except dessert.

I was sure that Lydia would get sick in the middle of the night, so I told Grace to come and get me when she did. She didn't. However, a few days later she came running up to me with a magazine in her hands. She showed me this picture:
"Mama, do shrimp have eyes?" she asked with desperation in her voice. I put two and two together pretty quickly and said, "No, they don't have eyes."

Then Lydia turned to Joel and said, "Shrimp don't have eyes, Joel. And they don't have legs, either. I know because I ate them at Grandma Dianne's." Well, at least she got that settled in her little brain (and Joel's, too).

No comments: