Saturday, May 29, 2010

There But For the Grace of God Go I

The last few days we've had rain here--lots of rain, which is unusual for these parts. Yesterday we experienced several downpours. I was out running errands and had to figure out how to use the windshield wipers on the Subaru at their fastest pace--something I've never had to do before.

Last night around five, another torrential downpour started. The kids had the back door open so they could see the rain. Then Grace came running into my bedroom to tell me that a car had crashed into the hay field next to our house.

I called 911 (something I've never done) and gave a description of the scene. Passersby were trying to open the car doors to get the people out, but they weren't having any success. Grace and I began praying. Soon a police car showed up, then five more. Then three ambulances and a firetruck. They were finally able to get the car doors open and immediately started CPR on the passenger. The EMT did CPR approximately thirty minutes. Finally the person was loaded onto the ambulance. We knew it was not good. (Our house and the accident scene were about an acre apart, so we really couldn't see much. Our kids, with the exception of Grace, really didn't understand what was going on.)

This morning the accident was reported in the newspaper. The passenger, a fifty year old woman, had died. The driver, a forty year old woman, was in "extreme critical condition." Apparently the driver of the vehicle had tried to turn from our road onto the main road. She must not have seen the big white pickup. It t-boned her car and sent it into the hay field.

Needless to say, the event was very sobering. Matt and I spent the evening reflecting on the fragility of life. I repented of worrying about "little things" that in the overall scheme of things are insignificant. Both Matt and I thanked the Lord that He saw fit to grant us one more day on this earth.

We read in the newspaper on Sunday that the driver of the vehicle also passed away.

No comments: