Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Gold for the Homeschooler

I was decluttering the school room a couple of weeks ago and found a gold nugget in my files. It was a handout from the first homeschool conference Matt and I ever attended.

Entitled, "How to Survive Your First Year of Homeschooling," the handout lists tips for the new homeschooler.

My favorite tip: "Your first year doesn't count." Brilliant. Actually, I would amend that to be "your first two or three years of homeschooling don't count." In our case, the Lord clearly called Matt and me to homeschool. I mean He called us--as in hitting us over the head with a 2 x 4 couldn't have made what He wanted from us any clearer.

However, I'm not a natural teacher. I really struggled to find my groove in homeschooling. Truth be told, I still struggle. Every year, every child, every day is different. Learning to roll with the punches in homeschooling is key. That's been a stretch for me, a Type A person, to learn.

According to the handout, one great thing about homeschooling is that "God has built amazing flexibility into this plan." Our own experience has borne this out. Looking back, some years were heavy on the "school of life" side of learning as the Lord was teaching our family through numerous trials that had nothing to do with homeschooling. Other years were calmer and we accomplished more academically.

Every year I sweat and fret and gnash my teeth when the end of year assessments roll around. After all, the kids aren't really the ones who are being assessed, it's the Momma who's been doing (or failing at) the teaching. Every year, I stand utterly amazed at what the Lord does with our kids. They learn, despite me. God's grace IS amazing grace.

I would also add one tip to the handout that was implied, but not specifically stated and that is, "Above all, stay in the Word." You can't possibly have the endurance that's needed for the long haul of the homeschooling journey if you're not constantly bathed in the Scriptures. Through the years, our family's study of the Bible has kept our compass on true north, even though many times the world tempted us to head in other directions.

The handout ends with this thought on homeschooling: "The blessings far outweigh the struggles. You will accomplish much in a short time. Confidence increases and relationships improve. Blessings are unexpected and rewards are eternal."

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Phil. 1:6

No comments: