Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Lydia the Bookworm

This year I signed up three of the kids for Pizza Hut's Book It! program.  The packet arrived in the mail in August.  I was caring for a newborn at the time, living on very little sleep and even less brain power.  I didn't even bother to open the envelope.



Never fear, Lydia is here.  She opened the packet, read all the details and then reported the pertinent information to me.  Things like, "Sign here, Momma" and "You and Dad need to decide how many books a month I'm supposed to read."  Matt and I decided that she would need to read six books a month in order to receive her free personal pizza coupon each month.



Lydia promptly created a tower of books on the floor next to her bed with sheets of paper between every six books.  She planned out the entire year's reading.  Then she did the same thing for Joel, except she used Bob books and other beginning readers for him.  Since Paul does most of his reading on his Nook, she didn't organize his reading.



Lydia was the only one who actually earned a free pizza coupon that first month, not because the boys didn't make the requirement.  They just didn't care enough to prove to me that they had read the number of books required.  So when we were out running errands one Saturday, I took Lydia to pick up her pizza.  The man behind the counter asked her what topping she wanted.  She said, "Avocado, please."  "We don't have that," the man replied.  I burst out laughing.  Then I suggested pepperoni.  Lydia agreed and we sat down to wait for her pizza to be prepared.



As we waited, Lydia took note of the restaurant's hours of operation.  "They have almost twelve more hours until they close, Momma."  Then she went on to comment on how the tiles on the floor reminded her of the cobblestone streets in England (ya know, cause she's been there).



I'm not sure Lydia ever enjoyed pizza more than she did that one.  After all, she earned it. She not only did her part, but she did mine, too.  That Lydia. She's a dandy.

No comments: