Friday, March 21, 2008

Maundy Thursday

The past five years, we have included a Passover Seder in our Holy Week schedule. Each year we pray about who to invite. Last night we celebrated our freedom from the slavery of sin with the family of my good friend and spiritual mentor. She went Home to be with Yeshua last summer. Jenny taught me to love the Jewish feasts. She used to organize the Seder at our church. The first year I decided to host a Seder, she came to my house and taught me everything I needed to know. Jenny said, "I feel like I'm passing the mantle on to you, Melissa." Neither one of us knew how prophetic those words would be--she was diagnosed with cancer a year later. I was able to host a Seder that year for her and her family. We definitely missed Jenny's presence last night, but it was still a lovely evening and I was honored to host her family again. This was truly a gift from the Lord. I was pretty discouraged Wednesday and wondered how we could pull it all off. Well, despite having a clog in the pipe from the kitchen to the septic tank and Matt's emergency church meeting that night, the Lord enabled all the roadblocks to disappear. Grace and I worked all day yesterday on the food (no leavening allowed--leaven represents sin). I was even able to lay down for a bit in the afternoon.
We've been studying the book of Matthew this year as a family. One of the things that the Lord has shown me is that He was never in too much of a hurry to not take every teaching opportunity that came along. He always took the time to ask questions ("Who do you say that I am?") and explain ("Let me tell you what the Parable of the Sower means.") If I'm to become more and more like Christ, I need to incorporate His way of discipling into my life, specifically with my children. This is why Matt and I have chosen to home school, so that we can fulfill the Biblical command of parents discipling their own children. We have found the Jewish feasts to be an excellent teaching tool. Just as the feasts pointed the Israelites to Jesus and His redemptive work on the cross, the feasts point us back to Jesus. The feasts engage all the senses, helping the truths that are presented be retained by the kids more readily. (God is so smart.)
Last night, as we read through the Haggadah (the order of service), I was struck once again by Jesus' words to his disciples, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer, for I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God." (Luke 22:14) There Jesus was, eating with one who was to betray Him within the next few hours, and He took the time to serve (washing the disciples' feet) and teach his followers. He didn't let the pressure of what was to come keep Him from doing well the work the Father had set before Him to do at that moment. How many times can I say I fall so far short of this standard? Far too many. I praise God for His Grace and the sanctification He provides through His Holy Spirit. Despite all the failures, I am becoming more and more like Christ every day.
"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Rom. 7:24,25).

Paul and Lydia during a break in the action
Paul finding the Afikommen (A piece of matzoh
wrapped in a linen cloth representing Jesus.)
The Afikommen was ransomed back from Paul
by the Papa (Matt) with some chocolate coins.

P.S.--At the end of the evening, everyone says, "Next year, in Jerusalem!" Elizabeth, in
her usual matter-of-fact style said, "It won't be in Jerusalem, it'll be in Washington state."

No comments: