Saturday, November 15, 2008

Freedom

I've been reading the books of Jeremiah and Lamentations in the mornings. The nation of Israel was enjoying herself to the point where she forgot who her God was. The people were worshipping false gods and were being unfaithful to the God who created and sustained her. God said, "But My people have changed their glory for what does not profit." (Jer. 2:11b)

I couldn't help but notice the similarities between our own nation and the nation of Israel. We've all desired to fill ourselves to the brim with toys and entertainments. Now the party is coming to an end. As one financial analyst put it, "America's long national shopping spree is over." With the economy being such that it is, we're now looking to the government (instead of God) to bail us out. I fear that mentality will become even more prevalent in the coming months and years.

Each morning as I read more of Jeremiah and Lamentations, my heart grieves for our nation and how we have forsaken the God who so graciously brought this nation into being.

The other night, our family attended an Army band concert. As the color guard presented the American flag, the audience sang our national anthem. As we sang I thanked God for the fact that we were able to assemble there freely. I thanked Him that I was still able to attend Bible study without fear of reprisal and that I can still open my Bible in my home and teach my children His statutes. The concert ended with the song, "God Bless the USA" by Lee Greenwood. We do still live in the greatest nation on earth, but our true freedom and hope is in Jesus Christ, not our government.

"But according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life." (Titus 3:5b-7)

No comments: