Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Date Night

Matt and I got to go on a date tonight. I made dinner for the kiddos, then left Gracie in charge. Jude accompanied Matt and me to a Thai restaurant. It's been almost a year since I've had Pad Kee Mow and I had a hankering for it. Instead of choosing our "usual" Thai place, we chose the one closest to the dollar store as I wanted to go there after dinner.

We had never been to this particular Thai restaurant before. According to the bit of history on the front of the menu, the restaurant has been the "cultural mecca" of our town for the last twenty five years. We couldn't believe we've lived here so many years and never partaken of such cosmopolitan culture. I wondered if the other five customers felt the same way.

St. Paddy's Irish folk music was playing over the stereo system--no live music tonight. We were disappointed we missed the dynamic duo of "Stevie and Marylou" who usually entertain those seated in the dining room for their "listening and dancing pleasure." The Pad Kee Mow wasn't all that great, but the restaurant had advertised that it had "lots of sticky rice and mangoes today." We decided to try that combination for dessert. It was quite good and our first thought was how much my Uncle Keith would have enjoyed it.

We then headed to the dollar store. I couldn't tell if Matt was more shocked by the bill ("they're all just $1 items!) or the checker gal who was wearing the metallic silver leggings ("where do you buy something like that?).

Laughter is good medicine, so hopefully Matt got the cure for his cold tonight. Even if he didn't, we still had a good time.

1 comment:

Uncle Keith and Aunt Leanna said...

WHAT?! Is Uncle Keith a poster boy for the passionate enjoying of epicurean delights??