Monday, April 6, 2009

Remembering God's Work

Yesterday as I sat in worship I was flooded with memories of three years ago. I had a miscarriage the Monday of Holy Week that year. Matt and I were devastated. The doctor told me to go home and take it easy--no hosting the big Seder dinner we had planned. Easter Sunday was not in the least bit joyful. Yes, I knew that Christ's work on the Cross was completed. He died, was buried and rose again on the third day. But my baby was dead and I was engulfed in sadness.

As I reflected on all of this yesterday, I came to a deeper understanding of what happened three years ago. Since the Fall of Adam and Eve, the human race has been mired in sin. My body doesn't function to its optimum ability as God originally intended that it should. Instead, my body is a "body of death" (Rom. 7:24) wracked by sickness, disease, even miscarriage. But Christ came to redeem the human race from sin, which is death. All those who look to Jesus will be saved--by faith alone, through grace alone.

My baby is in Heaven. And I can say, like David did when he lost his infant son, that I will see him again (2 Sam 12:22,23). My baby has bypassed this world of sin and has gone straight to Jesus. Praise God for His mercy among men!

As we sang "Lamb of God" yesterday in worship, I was reminded anew of what my focus should be this Holy Week. Not on all the busy-ness and obligations, but on the Passover Lamb, who died and rose again for me and for the wee one Matt and I lost. We've been bought with a price, the precious blood of Jesus. Thanks be to God!

LAMB OF GOD by Twila Paris

Your only Son
No sin to hide
But You have sent Him,
From Your side
To walk upon this guilty sod
And to become the Lamb of God

Your gift of Love
They crucified
They laughed and scorned him as he died
The humble King
They named a fraud
And sacrificed the Lamb of God

Chorus:
Oh Lamb of God, Sweet lamb of God
I love the Holy Lamb of God
Oh wash me in His precious Blood
My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God

I was so lost I should have died
But You have brought me to Your side
To be led by Your staff and rod
And to be called a lamb of God

Chorus
Oh Lamb of God, Sweet lamb of God
I love the Holy Lamb of God
Oh wash me in His precious Blood
My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God


No comments: