Monday, June 8, 2009

Climbing Mt. Everest

Tonight we celebrated the fact that Daddy finished his big test. He won't get his score until a couple of weeks from now, but we decided to celebrate anyway.

Mother's Day weekend, the girls and I had lunch at a fifties diner in town. I took note of the menu while we were there. One particular item, the Mt. Everest sundae, caught my attention. I put it in the memory bank and fortunately, it didn't leak out, because today I retrieved that bit of information and decided I would surprise Daddy and the kids after dinner.

We all piled in the van and headed to town. Daddy drove, while I navigated. When we got inside, I showed Matt the "Mt. Everest" on the menu. "Fifteen scoops of your choice of ice cream (they have fifty one flavors to choose from), Oreo cookies, chocolate shell, marshmallow topping, whipped cream, nuts and a cherry." Matt's eyes lit up with the possibilities. When we told the guy what we wanted he said, "Now you're talking!"
I had my doubts, but we polished her off. Everyone was really pushing it at the end, but not Joel. He just kept digging his spoon into the pile of ice cream and stuffing it into his mouth. "Yumm, yummm," he would say between bites.
As we were leaving, I was feeling a twinge of guilt for leading the entire family into the sin of gluttony, but then a man walked into the store. He said, "I have a need for a root beer float. Is it possible to have a need for a root beer float?"

"Oh yeah, it is," was the ice cream scooping employee's reply. Then I felt better. Besides, we took a walk afterwards, so that had to have negated any harmful effects, right?

No comments: