Thursday, October 29, 2009

BBQ Quest

If you look up BBQ on Wikipedia, you'll see a picture of Matt (just kidding). Seriously, the man loves his BBQ. He used to travel a lot to Oklahoma on business. He always ate plenty of BBQ while there, and even brought some home on the plane a couple of times. There might even be a famous picture of Matt with BBQ sauce all over his face floating around out there--I'll never tell.

While driving through town a couple of weeks ago, Matt saw the sign for a new BBQ place. He had a whiplash moment, "What's that?! BBQ?!" I'm telling ya, the man loves his BBQ. Since Matt just finished a huge project at work, we decided to celebrate on our date night this week by eating at the new BBQ place.

The place is a hole in the wall, but that's no deterrent to us, we don't mind lack of atmosphere if there's good food. All the food was in crock pots of various vintages on the counter. A white board had the menu written on it. We chose the two meat, two sides option. The place is only a dine in/take out establishment, but the guy let us sit at lone table to eat.

My chicken must have been on a diet before it was butchered because it was the skinniest little drumstick and tiniest little thigh I'd ever seen. However, the chicken was definitely the best. My ribs were nearly inedible, beings how they were almost all fat and tougher than rawhide (so much for the last plastic knife in the place being of any use). Matt's brisket wasn't very good, either. But he did like the baked beans (when does he not like baked beans?) and we both thought the dirty rice was pretty good.

As I said before, we're not restaurant atmosphere snobs, but I would have to say I do have my limits. The fly strip hanging above Matt's head and the t.v. blaring about what happens to something after it dies --"The head of a dead animal, especially, is a tasty treat for the other forest critters."--didn't exactly improve the taste of my meal.

The guy who owns the new BBQ place was super nice, but his food wasn't so nice. As for Matt's quest to find good BBQ in this part of the country--well, he'll just have to keep trying.

2 comments:

The Engineer said...

Oh NO!!!! I am so sorry you guys hated it. We've enjoyed the food, so either we do not have tastebuds or you went on an off night. I feel really bad....

The Engineer said...

What Boss, you don't like the food?

Brian