Monday, October 19, 2009

Goings On

We're still here, we're just living life--in the fast lane, instead of in the slow lane as I had planned this year.

I'm still working the couponing angle. I've finally put the coupon planning and shopping into several specific time slots during the week. I've also put my other time responsibilities into a schedule, which is something I've been trying to do for the last couple of years. I've bucked against the whole idea of an official "schedule" as it's my natural tendency to be very uptight about not deviating from anything that's been written down. But my dear husband (very kindly) pointed out some imbalance he was seeing in my time management, so I took it to the Lord and He gave me a schedule. The schedule is bare bones enough that I have some flexibility if need be. I'll give this a go for awhile and then work my way toward even better use of my time.
Matt and I are also attending two Bible studies this year, both of which we're enjoying very much, but both of which require a fair bit of time (another reason for the schedule).

Last week I started to get some of the eight boxes of apples that we picked processed. I had to borrow my mother-in-law's mixer. When I upgraded my Kitchenaid mixer a couple of years ago, her applesauce sieve (which you can't buy anymore) no longer fit on my mixer bowl, so I've been borrowing my mother-in-law's mixer every time I make applesauce. This past weekend, however, my mother-in-law presented me with a mixer just like hers (it was given to her by a friend that no longer had any use for it). Now I won't have to schlep her big mixer to my house every Fall. It never ceases to amaze me how God takes care of all the little details.

Yesterday we invited my parents for dinner. They spent a pleasant afternoon with us. A friend of ours challenged Grace to memorize the first chapter of John (which we are studying this year in BSF as well as our small group Bible study). Grandma Jane helped Grace with the memorizing as Grace peeled potatoes for dinner. Grandpa Tom helped post signs around the neighborhood about the lost pig and enjoyed some time shooting the BB gun with Paul and helping with the chickens.

This week we have more schedule keeping to do as well as some clean-up projects to tackle. I'm still trying to get all of the clothes put away after the big Summer to Fall clothes switch out. We're also still trying to put the finishing touches on the kids' rooms, which we recently rearranged. We will post pictures in the near future. Meanwhile, I must get some dinner ready for my hungry little crew.

No comments: