Monday, November 16, 2009

Easy Applesauce

I still haven't processed all the apples we picked on our apple expedition last month. Yesterday morning before church, Elizabeth and I embarked on an applesauce experiment. We decided to make applesauce in the crockpot--two crockpots actually.
We washed the apples and then ran them through the apple peeler, corer, slicer. We filled both six quart crockpots in a matter of a half an hour. Then we sprinkled a little brown sugar and cinnamon over the apples and turned the crockpots on low at 8:30 a.m. When we got home from church, the house smelled fabulous.
I took the lids off the crockpots and pureed the apples into sauce with my immersion blender at 4:30 p.m. My parents were down for dinner, but most of us ended up sampling the applesauce before dinner. The sauce had gotten pretty dark after cooking all day, so I wasn't so sure how it would taste. We were all pleasantly surprised--it tasted like caramel apples. A cooking experiment that actually worked. We may have to do a repeat with the apples I still have downstairs.

No comments: