Saturday, January 9, 2010

God's Word

Six years ago, I was going through a really difficult time in my life. The Lord had allowed a very good thing to be taken away from me. He was taking me to a place of deeper dependence on Him and Him alone. One night during that time, I took a walk in the snow. As I looked up and saw the snow heavily falling, the Lord brought Isaiah 55:10-11 to my mind.

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven
and do not return there but water the earth,
making it bring forth and sprout,
giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater,
so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."
One night last week it snowed here. I bundled up at 9:00 p.m. and took a walk. I walked quite a distance, relishing the quiet stillness of a world gone silent in snowy white. I reminded myself that God's word does not return to Him void, but it accomplishes the purpose for which He sent it forth.

No comments: