Monday, February 15, 2010

My Funny Valentine

Lessons I learned on Valentine's Day:

1. Never underestimate the determination of a chocolate-loving two (almost three) year old. I gave each of my kids a small trinket and a chocolate bar for Valentine's Day. While I was busy making breakfast, Joel asked me to open his chocolate bar (he always needs help opening things). "No, we don't eat chocolate in the morning. Give it to Grace to put on top of the refrigerator with the others," I said. When we all sat down for breakfast, Joel came to to the table with a ring of chocolate around his mouth. Necessity is the mother of invention, I guess.

2. Grass fed beef may be better for you, but it just doesn't taste as good. It's official. I've decided. (Although I may have to change my mind since I have a freezer full of the stuff).

3. Chocolate fondue for six kids probably won't be listed in my future book, "101 Brilliant Parenting Ideas." Bicker, bicker, bicker. "Hey, you knocked the banana off of my stick! Mom, he knocked the banana off of my stick!" It wasn't exactly the scene of warm familial bonding I had envisioned. Last time we had fondue it was just the two of us. My how things have changed.

No comments: