Sunday, February 21, 2010

New Art

Matt and I heard a lecture a few of years ago that really challenged us in many areas, but one area in particular really stands out in my mind. The man asked the audience if the art on the walls of our homes reflected our belief in the Lord Jesus Christ. He asked us to be purposeful about the kinds of things we put in our homes and to think about what the decorations in our homes portrayed to our children as well as to our guests.

Since that time, Matt and I have made the effort to be more deliberate in the art that we choose to adorn our home. The picture that hangs above our fireplace mantel is one I inherited from my grandmother. Entitled, "Sunday Morning in Sleepy Hollow," it depicts various folk dressed in their Sunday best walking to the church that can be seen in the background.

A few years ago, Matt put a couple of different passages from scripture into clear clip frames which we hung on our living room wall. Our intent was to change the scriptures regularly, which we haven't done, but we still enjoy the originals all the same. Last year my brother-in-law gave me a framed page from an old German Bible that now hangs in our dining room. This past June, Matt and I had a Bible verse made into vinyl lettering which we transferred to the living room wall. Two of our doorways have the words of Joshua 24:15 hanging over them. I've also picked up everything from framed scriptures to crosses at yard sales to decorate our home.

Last summer I saw a piece of art at the home of a friend that I absolutely fell in love with. I saw it from across the room and just gravitated toward it. When I got close to the picture I asked my hostess, "Is that Simeon?" She said, "Yes, the picture is called 'Simeon's Moment.' When I saw it I loved it and my husband bought it for me." After that I started wishing that my husband would buy one for me. Yes, I'll admit it, I was lusting after that picture.

Matt did contemplate getting me the picture for Christmas, but he thought that I would like to have my choice of matte and frame, so he decided to wait. After my birthday, I got online to shop around for my own Simeon. I found the cheapest price for a print was on Ebay, so I ordered one with my birthday money. I took the print to a local frame shop to have it framed and after a long wait, I finally got my picture last week. It's hanging on our family room wall, although I'm still trying to decide if I like it better in the dining room. (A woman can change her mind, can't she?)

The new picture is a nice addition to our collection of God glorifying art, a collection which we intend to expand in the coming years.

No comments: