Friday, March 12, 2010

We All Scream for Ice Cream

Last Saturday night we took the whole family to Baskin Robbins for an ice cream treat, compliments of my sister, who gave the kids a gift certificate for Christmas. We rarely take the whole family for ice cream any more because a couple of half gallons of ice cream from the store is just much more economical for us.

As a kid, my parents took us to Baskin and Robbins fairly regularly. I've rarely deviated from ordering my favorite treat (a scoop of peanut butter and chocolate and a scoop of rocky road on a sugar cone) for the past twenty five years. Even as a kid I used to be amazed at the people who would come into the store and order vanilla ice cream. I just couldn't fathom how one could have 31 different flavors of ice cream from which to choose and then decide on vanilla.

The other night, as we backed out of the driveway, I announced to the kids. "This place has 31 flavors of ice cream to choose from!" Immediately from the back of the van I hear Lydia say, "I choose vanilla!" My very own child--a vanilla chooser.

No comments: