Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Bug in Your Ear

This morning Paul came running into the house yelling, "There's a wasp in my ear! There's a wasp in my ear!" After I got him calmed down I said, "It probably flew in there and then flew right back out."

"No! No! It's still in there, I can feel it!" Paul insisted. Well, I knew it couldn't be a wasp, but I got the flashlight to take a look. Nothing. Still Paul insisted. I got out the gadget we use to check for ear infections. Sure enough, I saw something moving. I grabbed the hair dryer and tried to smoke him out. Didn't work. I had Paul turn his head so that his ear was facing downward. Then I asked him to shake his head. All the while I kept checking with the ear gadget and could see the little bugger, he just wasn't budging.

Then I thought of irrigating Paul's ear with water from the bulb syringe. Still nothing. Paul said, "Momma, I don't think that's going to work because the bug will just try to get away from the water and crawl up there further." Or worse--it could drown and die in there, I thought. Then Lydia said, "Paul it's going to crawl up into your brain!" Perfect timing, as usual, Lydia. At this point I was getting a little freaked out, but Paul thought things were just getting interesting. He wondered what I was going to try next.

I pulled out the hair dryer again. Finally the bug crawled out of Paul's ear. It reminded me of Star Trek--gross. Paul was pretty impressed and he tried to get Elizabeth to come take a look at the bug. She had been trying to avoid the whole scene by hiding in Paul's room. She had no interest in seeing the bug. Grace took a picture of it and then I threw it outside. Fly away little bug and go find some other person's ear to inhabit.
This has been a tough week for Paul. Monday he burned his finger while trying to light the candle for family worship time. It really hurt. He got a big blister as a result of the burn. Jude also had a little trouble. He fell on the cement and scraped up the right side of his face. Hopefully we've hit our quota for accidents this week.

1 comment:

strawberry_kid said...

That's really gross! The Star Trek movie you refer to is called The Wrath of Khan and I still can't watch it because of the creepy crawlie going into the ear and fusing to the brain. ~Julie