Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lydiaism

As we were driving home from church today, I spotted a couple of yard sales. Since I know yard sale season is quickly drawing to a close for the year, I decided to go check out the sales after lunch. I took Lydia with me.

The first sale yielded six cookbooks in pristine condition (Rachael Ray, Rick Bayless and the like) for 25 cents each. Lydia bought herself some birthday candles and a Dr. Seuss book for a total of 20 cents. As we were leaving, Lydia spotted a pink stuffed frog and asked the woman running the sale how much it was (before I could tell my girl that we didn't need anymore junk at home). The woman said, "For you, it's free." Lydia and I both said thank you very much and we climbed into the car to go hit the next sale. Lydia proceeded to tell me about the great deals she had gotten at the sale. I told her the reason she always gets such good prices at yard sales is because she's so cute.At the next sale, I bought a couple of pairs of shoes for Lydia and a little shelf to put above her bed. When I paid, the woman quoted me a higher price than the items were marked. I was too tired to quibble, so I just gave her the money and Lydia and I got back into the car. I complained that I didn't appreciate the prices at that particular sale and Lydia said, "I'm sorry you're not cute enough to get good prices, Mom."

No comments: