Sunday, October 10, 2010

More Lydiaisms

Last weekend when Matt and I got back from eating dinner out to celebrate our anniversary, we came home to a surprise. The kids had cleaned the master bedroom, taken the picture off of the wall and replaced it with our wedding photos and had put up a card table complete with table cloth and napkins. They had laid a spread of wine glasses, grape juice and a homemade dessert on the table as well. Our favorite "couple tunes" were playing, including Nat King Cole's "Mona Lisa."
All of the kids got a chance to dance with Mommy and Daddy. Mommy and Daddy even shared a dance. It was a very nice ending to our anniversary evening. At one point during the evening's festivities, Lydia said, "Hope you like it, Mommy. It's all we could afford!"

* * * * *

I took Elizabeth and Lydia with me yesterday to some yard sales. At one sale, Lydia spotted a small (and incomplete) china tea set that she wanted. She asked the woman running the sale, "How much is this?" "Two dollars," was the woman's reply.

Lydia turned to me and said, "That's too much for me and I know you won't buy it for that much, either, Mommy." (She knows me so well).

The sale suddenly become quite crowded with people, so I was a little embarrassed that Lydia wasn't trying to be a bit more discreet. Then the woman asked, "Well, then how much will you pay me for it then?" "Fifty cents!" Lydia said, loudly and boldly. All the other customers burst out laughing and the woman said, "You've got it girl! Just don't tell anyone else I let you talk me down!"
Lydia promptly pulled fifty cents out of her little purse and happily bought the tea set. I thanked the woman for her kindness and then we headed out to the next sale. Seventies knick knacks seemed to be the items de jour yesterday, so I came home nearly empty handed. Not Lydia--she found several items with which she was quite pleased and I know the reason. It's because she's cuter than I am.

No comments: