Monday, November 28, 2011

Time Marches On

Awhile back, I was readying the house for some company. While doing my own work, I was also assigning jobs to the children. As usual I was in a hurry because we were behind and the kids weren't pleased with the fact that I was barking out orders. Apron clad, I rushed outside to inspect the progress on the back patio.

Just then, I looked up and saw Jude running across the lawn and suddenly time stood still. I stared at that little toddler boy as his chubby legs carried his little body across the grass. As a stood watching, a vision of that same boy walking across the lawn as long, lithe young man passed before my eyes. It was a though the Lord was saying, "All that you're worried about at this moment in time is so very unimportant. Your children's young years are fleeting."

The last few months my older kids have had opportunities to help others outside of our home and also to travel with Grandma and Grandpa. When one of the older kids is gone, those of us who are left at home notice a gaping hole in our family. It's disconcerting, especially to the little ones. Though I know that the goal of parenting is eventually to release and let fly, I hadn't really considered that the release part would be coming so soon. When you're busy wiping noses and bottoms, cooking, feeding mouths and then washing the dishes, you think things will always be as they are now.

This past summer I reread the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls to the kids. It was just like old times, with my little ones all gathered around me while I read. Even the big girls joined us sometimes.

When we got to the second to last book of the series, These Happy Golden Years, all of the children were listening and even Matt was present to catch the last chapters. At the end of the book, preparations are made for Laura and Almanzo's wedding. When all is ready and the wedding is to be the next day, the Ingalls family eats supper and then Laura brings Pa his fiddle.

"Please, Pa, make some music." Pa took the fiddle from the box. He was a long time tuning it; then he must resin the bow carefully. At last he posed the bow above the fiddle strings and cleared his throat. "What will you have, Laura?" "Play for Mary first," Laura answered, "And then play all the old tunes, one after another, as long as you can."

The passage goes on to describe the many songs Pa played through the years and during the family's many travels. I remember I cried when I got to reading this part the first time around four years ago. I cried this time, too. I had to keep stopping to wipe my tears, catch my breath and gird myself to keep on reading.

After I finished reading the book with its happy wedding ending, we all got ready for bed. Matt said something to me about having a tender heart or some such thing. I said, "It was all too real for me. It won't be much longer before we have our last night with our Gracie." Then he turned away, tears in his eyes.

Yes, time marches on and things are never the same as they once were, but the fiddle still plays and the Lord of the Dance has us ever in His care.

No comments: