Thursday, May 3, 2012

Skills: Couponing

One of the aspects we studied this past year in our Five Aspects of Woman Bible study was "Lady of Wisdom." My biggest take away from this aspect was that we are to fear (hold in awe and reverence) God above all else and if we truly do so, we will have no other fears. I have a feeling this will be a lifelong pursuit for me.

Another part of the Lady of Wisdom aspect is the acquiring and use of skills. If a woman has no skills, she is not much benefit to her family, her church or her community. Our final project was to share with the rest of the group an area of skill in which we have become proficient. Some examples of what the other women brought were: homemade scones (with the promise of a baking lesson), a certificate for a family photo session and a painted canvas on which her family's rules where decoupaged (with the promise of providing a personalized canvas for the recipient's family). At the end of class, we had a drawing to give away the projects.

For my skill, I brought a box full of items I obtained through couponing. I paid $10 for all that is pictured below.I purposely chose only drug store items for this project. One of the major complaints I hear about coupons is, "All coupons are for things I never buy. It's all junk food." I will admit, there is some truth to this statement. However, there are still plenty of healthy foods to be had through couponing on the grocery end of the spectrum (although the deals aren't as screaming hot as they were a couple of years ago before the advent of extreme couponing t.v. shows).

I wanted to show the gals that if you just play the "drugstore game" alone, you can save a ton of money and then put the money saved toward organic veggies or fruit or whatever floats your boat. I was pleased that the gal who won my box of goodies is a bride-to-be. She was so tickled to have a small stash of drug store items with which to start her married life.

I was the happy recipient of the family photo session. The photographer and I are already discussing locations and schedules. However, I really doubt she has any idea how hard it is to get seven children to smile all at one time.

No comments: