Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Adjusting to Life

Joel laughed today for the first time since he fell. Mommy played "There was a bee, who lived in a barn, he carried a bag pipe under his arm and the only tune that he could play was, buzzzzzz." This is a game my Grandpa Paul used to play with all of us kids. We knew what was coming when his finger became the "buzzz" and tickled us under our ribs. When the "buzzz" hit Joel, I got a big belly laugh--so good to hear from a little boy who's been kind of sad the last few days. He's pretty frustrated that he can't move the way he's used to doing.
Joel is so heavy and awkward to carry, so I haven't held him much. I get my cuddles with him when I lie next to him in bed, but this morning I picked him up. He was so happy that he snuggled into my neck and kicked his one free leg. I started crying--he's usually kicks both legs when I pick him up. I have to keep reminding myself that this is only temporary and that God doesn't give us more than we can handle.
Yesterday afternoon Joel was released from his clear liquid diet when he produced a messy diaper. Gone are the days when I could change a diaper in 3 minutes or less. After using what seems like 20 wet wipes, he needs to be dried with the cool setting on the hairdryer to keep his skin from breaking down. This will be something we'll have to watch very carefully for the next 6 to 8 weeks.
I was able to get to Walmart yesterday and buy a huge box of diapers, some Aveeno Ecxema lotion (Joel's skin has been so dry), a hairdryer with a cool setting and some fruit cups. I normally would never buy these, but since someone has to hold him while he's eating, I thought the smaller pieces of fruit would be more convenient. I also picked up a queen size pillow that fits perfectly in what the kids have dubbed "The Green Retro," which is the wagon that will be Joel's main mode of transportation for the next month and a half or so.
I was also able to get to St. Vincent de Paul where I bought 6 long sleeved t-shirts. Joel only had 2 t-shirts that didn't snap in the crotch--obviously they won't work for him now. I hope to get my super seamstress neighbor to make some sort of pant leg for him to wear on his one exposed leg.
A woman from the hospital stopped by yesterday and brought a brand new car seat made especially for kids in spica casts. We were told before we left the hospital that those car seats were no longer available, but I guess there was some sort of miscommunication. The doctor had said someone would just have to hold Joel in the car. I wasn't very comfortable with this idea, especially for out-of-town trips. Anyway, we'll have the use of the car seat as long as we need it.
Last night our friend Peggy (Joel's godmother) brought a homemade lasagna. It even passed muster with the finicky taste buds of Paul. Poor little Joel wanted a bite, too, but the nurse put the fear of God into us about giving him anything out of the ordinary that might cause bowel problems, so we gave him a piece of bread instead. In the next couple of days, we'll start introducing a greater variety of foods into Joel's diet.
We've been able to control Joel's pain with Advil. I'm guessing in the next couple of days he won't even need that any more.
Yesterday as Lydia and I were running our errands, one of my favorite songs from Selah came on the radio. Here's a few of the lyrics from "All My Praise":
I will follow You through green pastures
And sing hallelujah to Your Name
I will follow You through dark disaster
And sing hallelujah through the pain

And even in the shadow of death
I will praise You
And even in the valley I will say

Holy, my God
You are worthy of all my praise
Holy, my God
You are worthy of all my praise

No comments: