Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend in Review

Joel is quite unhappy with his new cast. He's also had problems with constipation and he has a bit of a cold. All these factors have combined to make a crabby little boy. Joel hasn't slept well, so Mommy and Daddy haven't slept well. We did get the constipation problem solved and Joel was quite pleased to be able to have a banana today. He ate and drank more today than any day since his OR visit Wednesday. This was a relief to me. It's just not like him not to want to eat.

Yesterday, my parents came to visit us. They brought presents for everyone. Joel was tickled with his new toys. He even took a small break from his crabbiness to enjoy them. My dad mowed the lawn and my mom chatted with me while I got church clothes ironed. Dad treated us all to pizza and ice cream in honor of Matt's birthday.

Today we went to church. Joel has become quite the tyrant since he's been in his cast. He just points and screams until he gets what he wants. Well, today in church he decided he wanted Lydia' s pink marker. He screamed so loudly that I couldn't hear Pastor and I'm sure no one else could either (or at least that's what it seemed like to this embarrassed mother). Needless to say, Joel and I had to step outside for awhile.

The Lord did bless me today by giving me something I'd been wanting to get Joel. Right after Joel's accident, I went to Walmart to check out the wagons there. I saw a huge Radio Flyer wagon for $100. I just couldn't justify it. The wagon we already had was working fine for Joel, although it was a bit of a tight squeeze for him. I went to a yard sale yesterday and I saw one of those Radio Flyer wagons. They were asking $45. I still couldn't justify it, so I didn't buy it. Today, on the way home from church, I stopped at the same yard sale and it was still there. I asked the gal if she'd consider going down on the price. She said she'd take an offer on anything else at the yard sale (there was still a ton of stuff), but she wouldn't negotiate on the wagon. I got back in the van, drove around the block and came back. I was so nervous, but I screwed up the courage to get out of the van and give the gal a slip of paper with my number on it. I told her I had a baby in a spica cast and if she hadn't sold it by the end of the sale, I'd still be interested in it. Then she said, "O.K., I'll sell it to you right now. How about $35?" I said, "How about $30." "Sold," she said. As it turned out, she was a pediatric nurse and had seen babies in spica casts. She said she's seen plenty of accidents involving bunk bed ladders. Anyway, Joel now has a fancy new wagon that even has a cup holder for his sippy cup. God is good.

No comments: