Friday, April 11, 2008

A Better Day

Today was a better day than yesterday. I went to Walmart this morning and got some moleskin to apply to the edges of Joel's cast around his diaper area. We're hoping this will work to keep things cleaner. I also picked up some supplies for a picnic lunch. When I got home, Grace and I packed up and we all headed to our favorite little park in the big van. Joel got to use his new car seat for the first time. He was pleased to be in a more vertical position with a good view of all the "goings on" outside. He also enjoyed seeing his Daddy, brother and sisters play football and slide down the slide at the park. He even got to (gently) swing on the swing in Gracie's lap.
We headed back home for quiet time and I tried to locate some foam for Joel's wagon. My aunt (a physical therapist) suggested we get some foam and cut it to the shape of Joel's body to make the wagon more comfortable for him. The only problem is, the Foam Shop has closed. I called the man who reupholstered my kitchen chairs a few years ago. He remembered exactly who I was. I explained the situation and he told me to bring the wagon to his shop and he'd get something figured out. When I got there, he measured and cut a very thick piece of foam to fit the wagon exactly. I asked him how much I owed him and he refused any money. Foam is very expensive these days and I fully expected to pay quite a lot to get it, but God worked through that man to give me the foam I needed for my little boy.
When I got home every one was sleeping and I got into bed and napped beside little Joel. I think he's starting to get used to the fact that he can't turn on his side to sleep. After quiet time, the door bell rang. A woman was delivering a fantastic cookie bouquet from our good friend, P.K. It had 7 cookies, one for each of us. The bear cookie in the middle of the arrangement had Joel's name on it and a cast on one leg. Joel was delighted when I offered him the head and arm for dessert.
My neighbor, Marge, who can sew anything, refashioned a pair of Joel's sweats. She delivered two leg covers today. These will work beautifully to keep his one exposed leg warm. Marge even made a loop with Velcro to accommodate the rod of the spica cast. Like I said, she can sew anything.
Now Daddy is heading down to the school yard with all of the kids to let them burn off some energy before bedtime. I plan on getting caught up on laundry and dishes. I haven't been as on top of these jobs as I usually am, but I'm not as anxious about it as I would have been a week ago. Even though this has been a difficult week, Matt and I are very aware things could be much worse. We're thankful to the Lord for His mercies which are new every morning.

No comments: