Monday, July 14, 2008

Home Again

We had a nice, albeit tiring weekend. My grandpa's funeral on Friday reminded all of us of the sacrifice he made for our country's freedom. A three gun salute was fired and "Taps" was played. A flag was presented to my grandma. It was a beautiful, sunny day, just the type of day my grandpa would have loved. He was such an outdoors person.

Saturday we traveled south and visited the state capital. It was virtually empty when we got there. The older kids were impressed with the grandeur of the place and Joel was impressed with the way his voice echoed throughout the building.

We then ate lunch at a place that boasted the best BBQ "three years in a row"--right up Matt's alley. The place was chuck full of all the awards they had won. I abstained from the homemade corn muffins and honey and the BBQ ribs. I got the smoked chicken and ate a bit of potato salad. Matt loved the award winning chili, but said the BBQ was not quite as good as "Lewis'" in Kansas. Sadly, Lewis' burned to the ground a few years ago, and Matt is no longer able to partake of the "best ribs on the planet" on his business trips there.

Matt took me to a speciality lamp store after lunch. I've been needing to replace the lampshades on my floor lamps, but didn't realize they are so hard to find. The big city had one store that had a nice selection of shades and I found what I wanted. We then drove to the graduation party.

Matt enjoyed being able to see and talk with his friend Jason. The kids had a blast in the bounce house and I was pleased that it wasn't as hot as predicted. We headed back to the hotel to swim and hit the sack.

Yesterday we drove the four hour drive home. We unloaded the van and then Matt and I headed to the old house to pick up the last of our possessions. We sign final papers tomorrow morning.

Last night, despite everyone being completely exhausted, we had a terrible night's sleep. Paul had some sort of allergic reaction to something. His hands and right cheek swelled up. We gave him Benedryl, but he was still up and down all night complaining about how itchy he was. I found Lydia wandering the house at 3 a.m. I got her back into bed and an hour later she came and told me she still couldn't get to sleep. Joel,too, awakened in the night. We had all three of them in bed with us by 4:30 a.m. We overslept until 7:30 a.m. I hurriedly got ready while Matt made eggs and sausage. Elizabeth needed a good breakfast as she started her training today.

I got Elizabeth to Matt's mom and dad's house about five minutes late, but we made it. When I picked her up late this afternoon, she had completed the first day of training her brain not to disorient and turn letters around in her mind. She had fashioned the entire upper and lower case letters of the alphabet out of clay, among other things. The woman who is working with her is using the Davis Method, a method developed by Ron Davis, author of the "Gift of Dyslexia." This woman was personally trained by Ron Davis in his method. She and her husband spent $15,000 trying to help their son before discovering Ron Davis' method. We're praying that this will be very helpful to Elizabeth as well. Elizabeth enjoyed the first day and is looking forward to returning for more training tomorrow.

I'm desperately needing a good night's sleep and praying that I'll get it. I couldn't even decide where I wanted Matt to hang the towel bar in the kid's bathroom tonight. Tomorrow is another day and we'll try to decide where to hang it then. It's waited this long and it won't hurt to wait a bit longer.

No comments: