Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pinching Ourselves

I've been sitting on this post for about a week now. We didn't want to spill the beans in case something were to go sideways with the whole thing. We can hardly believe it ourselves. So, here goes. We sold our house (almost)! We'll sign final papers in a week.

Matt received a call from our realtor last Wednesday about 10 a.m. A young couple had been through the house earlier that morning and just loved it. They would be bringing an offer to us by that evening. Could they move in in two weeks? We had a buyer just three days after listing the house.

Our realtor stopped by our house that evening with the offer. We looked over everything. All looked good. We signed without hesitation--the price we wanted, no contingencies and a preapproved loan for the buyer. I asked our realtor if she'd ever sold a house so quickly. She said, "no."

We had the septic pumped early Friday morning. All looked good on that front. We expected this, since we replaced the whole system just 1 1/2 years ago. The next hurdle--the house inspection.

The inspection took place yesterday morning at 8 a.m. I didn't expect to hear anything from the realtor until the evening, but she called at noon. I sat down in a chair to brace myself. Old houses can have big problems and I had (sinfully) worried and fretted that something huge would have to be fixed or that the buyers would pull out of the deal altogether. The realtor said, "Believe it or not, Melissa, they don't want you guys to fix anything." "Praise God!" I said. Only minor problems came to light during the inspection and the buyers felt they could handle those themselves.

Truly, God is worthy to be praised. Most the houses around here have been sitting on the market for an average of three months, so we were just hoping to sell the house before the holidays. It's been stressful taking care of two houses. We're so relieved not to have to worry about the maintenance and upkeep of both houses for much longer.

I told one of the women who helped us get packed about the sale of the house during our church's 4th of July picnic. She couldn't believe it. I said, "I told you the Lord wanted us to move." She said, "Yes, He did."

God has blessed our family mightily in the past couple of months. We are so undeserving. We are most especially undeserving of the salvation we have received through Jesus Christ, His only son. God is worthy of our praise because of who He is, not because what He does or doesn't do for us.

"I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart; for great is your love toward me; you have delivered me from the depths of the grave." Psalm 86:12, 13

No comments: