Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Happenings

The irises that I brought over from our old house last summer have bloomed in their new location by our shed. I've learned from experience that irises are just about impervious to any kind of neglect you can throw at them--my kind of plant.

Gracie and I canned pickled asparagus. I usually do this every other year, but I missed last year because we were in the midst of moving. Three years ago, I washed, snapped, cut, measured out spices and made the brine all by myself. It took me all day to can fourteen jars of pickled asparagus. This year, with Gracie's help, it only took three hours. I feel like I've hit a new and wonderful stage of motherhood!

This past weekend we pecked away at our ever-lengthening list of chores. We did get the living room painted, including the fireplace. We also attended a family reunion, which gave us a pleasant break from our labors.

We've had chocolate crosses and chocolate bunnies from Grandma Jane on top of our fridge in a big box since Easter. I decided I'd have a little fun yesterday by yelling "Who wants chocolate?" after lunch. Quite a stampede ensued. I even let them eat the whole bunny or cross if they wanted (no problem for Joel). Am I every kid's dream mom, or what?

Our most recent trip to the library was fruitful--at least for Paul. Here are the books he chose.

Paul has added a small hatchet (with Daddy's strict instruction to be careful) to his Davey Crockett ensemble. Paul accidentally left his long rifle at his cousins' house a couple of weeks ago. He was finally reunited with it this past weekend, for which he was very happy. Here he is by Fort Macduff.

No comments: