Sunday, May 3, 2009

Learning from Others

Paul says that the Israelites' sins were written down so that we might learn from them and not make similar mistakes in our own lives (1 Cor. 10:6). I don't have to learn things through my own experience. I can learn from other people. I can take to heart and try to emulate the ways of righteousness in others. I can let others' mistakes be a warning to myself and choose not to take the same path.

Today I was confronted with the consequences of sin in another person's life. As I clasped this person's hands in mine, tears flowed down both of our faces. The pain this person is going through in this season of life is horrendous. No human means can salve this person's hurts. Only the blood which flowed from our Savior's wounds can heal the agony.

As I reflected on my encounter with this person, I took away some lessons. I prayed that the Lord would allow me, by His grace, to apply these truths to my life.

1. Sin severs. It severs our relationship with our Heavenly Father, it severs the relationships we have with others. I need to "keep short accounts" and not let small hurts and injustices fester into deep growing roots of bitterness.

2. Be grateful. I need to never take for granted the blessings the Lord has mercifully bestowed upon me. I do not know if those blessings may no longer be a part of my life at some point down the road.

3. Take every thought captive. As a woman I have the power to build up my house or tear it down (Prov. 14:1). The consequences of my wrong actions may seem small today, but will eventually lead to the ruin of my family. I need to learn to "take every thought captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ" (2 Cor. 10:5), before those thoughts produce toxic attitudes and actions ("Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." Matt. 12:34). I don't want to end up alone in my old age because I've driven my family away. I want to be surrounded by my children and grandchildren.

3. End well. It's possible to be in a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ and then fall away from Him in the latter years of one's life. I want to end the "race set before me" (Heb. 12:1) well.

4. All the money and things in the world don't bring joy. Only our relationship with Jesus and the relationships we have with our dear ones, whether they be friends or family, bring deep and lasting joy.

I would rather learn the above lessons without having to learn them the hard way--through experience. However, I'm a sinner and I do make mistakes and unfortunately I do fall at times. Yet I do serve a merciful Savior who doesn't give me what I do deserve. So I press on and let the Holy Spirit have His way with me so that I may glorify my Father in Heaven.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Rom. 12:1

No comments: