Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lazy Summer Day

Yesterday we enjoyed our first totally lazy day of the summer. The girls packed a picnic lunch and we all headed to the park for a little R & R. It was a perfect day--not too hot, no wind. The kids had a ball playing on the vintage playground equipment.
Then we all headed down to the water and threw rocks in, and Joel threw himself in, which precipitated a Mommy freak-out moment, but Grace yanked him from the water. He wasn't nearly as scared as Mommy was.

Jude insisted on being in the water. We put him on the water's edge and he splashed and splashed and laughed and laughed. We just made sure he didn't get any water in his ears as I didn't have his ear plugs with me.
Three kids ago, I would have never let the kids get their clothes and themselves all wet and soggy. God's been working on me and I'm not nearly as uptight as I used to be. When the little guys got out of the water, I just took off their 2 gallon (each) diapers and put on dry ones.

We all got a good long quiet time in the afternoon because we were so tuckered out. Then I took the three girls on a "girls night out" to go to the thrift store and look for clothes. We walked out the door at closing time (9 pm) with a couple of big bags full of goodies. The girls were tickled and I was pleased to have fulfilled my "take the girls shopping" promise I made a couple of months ago.

When I got home I got the dishwasher and washing machine started (which always makes me happy) and even got to read a bit before heading to bed--a nice ending to a nice day.

No comments: