Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bad Bunnies

I have the three littles to myself on Monday nights. I'm also taking an online Bible course on Monday nights, so I've had to devise some clever tricks to keep the littles occupied while I'm otherwise occupied from 6 to 7 p.m. Usually this involves some pre-planning on my part by making sure I pick up a never before seen "Thomas the Train" or "Bob the Builder" DVD at the library.

However, the weather has been so nice here, the kids couldn't even think about being inside the house to watch a movie last night. We ate our dinner outside and then I announced that it was time to come inside so Mommy could take her class. My suggestion didn't go over so well and since I was already ten minutes late logging into my class, I decided to keep the sliding glass door open so as to be able to hear any blood curdling screams coming from the backyard.

The two little boys were double trouble all evening long. At one point Lydia frantically ran into the house to tell me that Jude had turned on the sprinkler system. I ran outside to find both boys right by the road (they had been told they weren't allowed to leave the backyard). Joel was squatting in a pile of black ants, completely mesmerized by their activity. Jude was indeed fiddling with Daddy's sprinkler control panel. Bad bunnies. I corralled them both and got them into the house.

Later in the evening, I found Joel pouring a bowl of popcorn all over the kitchen floor and eating it by grabbing the kernals with his tongue (he's been into eating like a tiger lately). Both Jude and Joel had popcorn bits and salt in their hair and dirt all over their bodies. Bad bunnies. Time for a bath.

As the kids played in the bathtub, I was busy trying to retrieve no less than half a dozen screws out of one of our rented five gallon water cooler bottles. Bad bunnies. I worked on the water bottle in the bathroom so as to be able to keep an eye on the kids, but I still didn't notice all the water that kept finding it's way to the slick tile floor. I went to grab a towel to clean up the puddles and noticed that Jude didn't have his ear plugs in his ears. Apparently he had taken them out and Joel had formed them into a nice cohesive unit, rendering them unusable. Bad bunnies.

I got the kids out of the bath, put their p.j.'s on them and then read them a couple of stories, the whole while dealing with all three littles trying to sit on my lap--at the same time. I stopped reading numerous times to keep the kids from hitting each other in frustration over the lack of space on my lap. Bad bunnies. By the time Matt and the others got home, I was completely exhausted. Matt tried to have a conversation with me, but I fell asleep. It was a really rude thing to do, especially since it was his birthday and I hadn't seen him all day. I did apologize to Matt this morning and he forgave me. He's a good bunny.

No comments: