Sunday, July 25, 2010

Home Grown Dinner

Matt worked really hard this past spring to make four huge raised garden beds for me. He even made a ledge around each one so that I could weed or harvest while sitting down. He and the kids planted vegetable seeds in May.
The other night we had a meal which was mostly comprised of ingredients from our garden. We had grilled zucchini and yellow squash and creamy cucumber salad. We also had some green beans with caramelized sweet onions, crisp cooked bacon and sour cream. Yep, I pretty much rendered perfectly healthy green beans unhealthy, but they were yummy.
Now I'm waiting for my tomatoes to ripen, but so are the chickens. They've already dug into a few green tomatoes to test their quality. I'm not pleased. I planted four different kinds of tomatoes, including an heirloom variety. I've been anticipating their summer deliciousness for over a month now. If the chickens know what's good for them, they'll realize that they had better not get between me and my tomatoes.

No comments: