Monday, January 17, 2011

The Big 4-0

I turned forty on Saturday. When Matt and I were newly married and in our mid-twenties, we belonged to a "young couples" group at our church. The group included some forty somethings. Man, I thought they were old and I certainly didn't think they belonged in a "young" couples group. Well, here I am. Forty.

Matt wanted to have a big ta-do surprise party for me, but I objected. Just two weeks out from giving birth, I knew I wouldn't be up for it. So we decided to invite some family and have a smallish party here. My brother even made the long drive down. My parents bought take out from my favorite little Italian restaurant in town and Matt's parents bought a red velvet cake from my favorite bakery in town. Grace and Elizabeth made cupcake cake pops for the occasion. Carb on. At least I'm not on the diabetic diet anymore.
My Uncle Keith (and godfather) retold the story of my birth. "Grandma Schafer told me to go over to Seattle because Jane thought she was having the baby. She really wasn't (her due date was a month away), but as her big brother, I was told to go over to be with her. I got a few miles out of town and my car did a 360 on the icy road, but I trudged on. When I got to Tom and Jane's apartment, there was a note on the door (pre-cell phone and texting days, folks) that said, 'It's coming! We're at Swedish hospital.' "

"When I got to the hospital, Tom and I went out for dinner. When Melissa was born, the nurse held her upside down by her ankles like a chicken. I took the night shift for those first couple of nights home from the hospital. The second night, I used Great Grandma Logsdon's recipe for getting babies to sleep--I put a little bit of brandy at the bottom of the baby bottle. You slept like the proverbial baby, Melissa." My kids were tickled to hear the story retold once again. It changes a bit with each telling, but that's pretty much the gist of it--I don't believe I'm leaving any facts (or embellishments) out.
Saturday night as I ushered in my fortieth year on this earth, I was surrounded by the people I love most and that's the best gift of all. God has blessed me richly and I am so very undeserving, but ever so grateful.

1 comment:

Rena said...

A belated happy birthday! It sounds like a lovely day. Your b-day is 3 days before Brent's!