Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sad Day

Matt's Nana passed away early this morning. She's been quite ill for a couple of months now, but we were still shocked at how quickly she declined. Nana was one of a kind, that's for sure. I enjoyed getting to know her better after she moved here three years ago.

Nana was an avid gardener and lover of flowers. The peonies from her yard graced my yard as well. The blooms were as big as salad plates and the fragrance was out of this world. Peonies always remind me of her. So do violets--not nearly as ostentatious as the peonies, they are so demure that they are often hard to spot amongst their green foliage. Nana also gave me some of her violets for my yard. I always enjoyed picking them to put in a small vase on my kitchen window sill in the spring. They provided a cheery little pick-me-up as did the dishes.

As Matt and I told the kids about Nana this morning, we tried to explain that since The Fall, death is a part of life. Praise Jesus that our eternal hope lies in Him. We also explained to the children that the cycle of life continues. In a couple of days, the Lord willing, we will have a new little life in this house. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.

No comments: