Friday, August 1, 2008

A Week at Home

This week is the first week in our new house that we've spent (mostly) at home. The kids and I got back into a more normal routine. Elizabeth and I worked on her dyslexia exercises, I read "Anne of Greene Gables" to the kids (we're almost done), and we had a few visitors.

My friend Lisa came over for the fourth time on Wednesday. We unpacked the craft/gift area downstairs. I'm a huge clearance shopper and stash gifts away all year long. Lisa is a power organizer, so in pretty short order we had things in a much more liveable state. I was glad to have this item checked off of my "before baby comes" list.

The girls and I brought the baby clothes up from the basement. We sorted through all of them and put them away and even set aside what I will take to the hospital for the baby. The ultrasound I had today revealed that Jude is about 6 lbs, neither too big, nor too small. If he hasn't come by the 26th of the month, I'll be induced that day.

Matt's two aunts, who are from California and Texas, came to visit on Thursday. They even squeezed in a game of Uno Spin with the girls and Paul. Right after they left, an old friend stopped by. It was perfect timing because the house was already picked up, so we invited her in for a tour. Tonight we had a couple from church over for dinner. They have been so kind to us in our move. They've provided meals and flowers, bounty from their garden, muscle power (I think he moved ALL the school book boxes upstairs by himself on moving day) and they even gave Lydia a trike they were no longer needing for their grandkids. It was neat to get together with them and get to know them better.

Tomorrow, for the first time since we've moved, we'll have a Saturday to choose what we want to do. We have plenty to do, mind you, but we won't HAVE to do anything. I might try to go to a couple of yard sales, I know Matt has some things he'd like to work on and the kids want their bike tires repaired. Tack weeds grow in abundance around here and have wreaked havoc on the bikes. Paul was in tears tonight because not only does his bike have a flat, but now the pink bike has a flat as well. If you're a little boy named Paul, you have to be pretty desperate to stoop to riding a girl's bike. We'll have to get Daddy to remedy the bike situation, even if the solution is short-lived. It's nice to have smaller projects to tackle, instead of the big ones we've had so many of in the last couple of months.

God is good. He has granted us a small reprieve so we can all catch our breath before the baby comes. We're all getting so excited to meet the new little guy we're not sure if we can wait, especially the kids who ask me nearly every day, "Can you have the baby today?" We'll rest in the fact that God's timing is perfect, He alone numbers our days.

No comments: