Monday, September 29, 2008

Amazing Grace

Matt and I presented Grace with a hope chest on her birthday earlier this month. We attached a brass plate to the lid with her name, the date and Philippians 1:6, which reads: "being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it onto completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Because Grace turned thirteen this year, we wanted to honor and bless her in a special way. We invited about thirty friends and family members to help us do that this past Saturday.
We started the evening by singing "Amazing Grace." (Thanks are due to our friend, Tammy, who graciously stepped in for an impromptu piano accompaniment.) Then Matt and I each spoke words of encouragement to Grace. Daddy read 1 Corinthians 13 and talked about faith, hope and love. In regards to hope, he explained that we have an eternal hope in Christ Jesus, but that we also have temporal hope on this earth, thus a hope chest. I spoke about serving Christ. I will post what I read to Grace in a later post so that those interested may read it.

Each person who was invited to the party was asked to bring a Bible verse to encourage Grace. The verses were written on 4 x 6 cards which I will put in a book that Grace can keep in her hope chest. We all took turns reading the verses we had chosen. Every one of them was different, there was not one repeat. At this point in the evening, I don't think there was a dry eye in the house. Matt placed his hand on Gracie's head and gave her this special blessing:
May Strength and honor be your clothing;
May you rejoice in time to come.
May you open your mouth with wisdom,
And have on your tongue the law of kindness.
Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.
May you be like Sarah and Rebekah and Leah and
May your children rise up and call you blessed.

Matt and I then opened the hope chest and showed everyone what we had put in it. Grace hadn't seen any of the contents before the party, so she got her first look, too. I put in a copy of the book "God's Promises for Your Every Need." It's a book that was given to me by my grandparents for my confirmation. I still use it quite frequently. I also put in a set of the "Little House on the Prairie" books so that Grace can read them to her children some day. Daddy added Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening Devotions" and "The Pilgrim's Progress." I also included a couple of cookbooks that we've enjoyed as a family and some knit wash cloths and recipe cards.

The highlight of the evening, at least for Matt and me, was the present that Elizabeth gave to her sister. Elizabeth used a year's worth of earnings to buy Grace a Geneva Bible with her name engraved on it. We were so proud of her. She's a bit of a penny pincher, but her love for her big sister knows no bounds and she went all out to show it.
We then took a break from the festivities to break bread together. We enjoyed a great meal. I had been nervous all week that everything would come together. Matt encouraged me to keep the menu simple, which I did. My mom and dad also arrived early and helped me with the food preparation before the party. They also brought some of the food, for which I was very thankful as there (literally) was hardly a crumb left at the end of the evening!
After dinner, Grace opened her presents. She received a crystal vase from my parents and a cookie stamp with Grandma Dianne's famous shortbread recipe from Matt's parents. Matt's grandma presented Grace with the christening gown she had worn as a baby and also some pretty lace cuffs that were her mother's (Grace's great-great grandmother's). The pieces are just beautiful, heirlooms that Grace will always treasure. She also received a dresser cloth that belonged to Matt's Nana. Other gifts included an antique tea set from our friend Peggy and a hair braiding book from the "L" clan. Aunt Jessica gave Grace mustard seed earrings (for faith as small as a mustard seed) and Auntie Em gave the item that received the most "oohs" and "aahs" of the evening, a santoku knife.

It was a beautiful time of honor and blessing for our firstborn. The Lord provided for every detail and Christ's love encircled the evening. Grace (and her mom and dad) are very blessed to have so much loving support from family and friends. We will keep praying that the Lord will continue "the good work" He has begun in Grace and be ever present with her as she continues on her journey toward biblical womanhood.

No comments: