Friday, September 19, 2008

Double Portion

Tonight I began reading the journal of a dear friend who died one year ago from cancer. She chronicled her journey of faith in a journal, a copy of which I received from her daughter just today. The journal is comprised mostly of scripture. This woman wrapped herself in God's Word daily. Her habit of reading the Bible every day was well established before the cancer diagnosis. It was only natural for her to rely on God's Word to get her through the crisis. What an incredible example she was (and still is) to me.

As I read, I heard Joel crying in his crib. He really just needed to go to sleep, but I went and got him out of his crib and brought him into bed with Jude and me. (Daddy was outside doing chores, which is why I got by with it.) Reading that journal was such a reminder that our lives are "just a vapor." After I had Lydia, I fervently prayed that the Lord would give me another son to raise for His glory. He gave me Joel. Then He gave me Jude. Tonight I snuggled and loved on both of them. I've been so tired lately that I've had a hard time thinking of much else. I've really had to make an effort to praise God and tell Him of the things for which I'm thankful. Tonight, however, was easy. I thanked Him for my double portion. What an awesome God, worthy to be praised, in all circumstances.

No comments: