Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions 2009

I've always thought that New Year's resolutions were rather silly. The roving reporter on the evening news asks, "What's your resolution this year?" and the unsurprising reply, "Lose weight, get out of debt, work less" or whatever. Then a month later you read in the newspaper that 98% of New Year's resolutions have already been abandoned. "Why bother," has always been my reasoning. This year is the exception. I feel the Lord tugging at my heart to bring a clearer focus to areas He's been working on in me for a long time.

My heart is burdened to treat my body better ("Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" 1Cor. 3:16). More sleep is not an option right now, but eating better and exercising is.

My heart is also burdened to create a more detailed daily schedule so that my days run more smoothly ("Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil." Ephes. 5:15,16).

My heart is burdened to spend more time in prayer and the study of His Word, for my own sake, but also for the sake of my family. ("I have hidden Your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Ps. 119:11, "Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need" Heb 4:16).

Problem is, my flesh doesn't want to do any of these things ("the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Matt. 26:41, "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts." Rom. 13:14). I'm also aware that diet, exercise and schedules can easily become idols and be distractions that keep me from what is truly important, Jesus Himself. I've heard it said that the only obsession you can have that won't consume you is Jesus. More of Jesus, less of me, that's my ultimate resolution. So, at the beginning of this new year, I will step out in faith and know that He will provide the strength I need to do that which I know I should and the grace to get back up again when I fall.

No comments: